Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Six Elves of Christmas

Christmastime...
I can't think of another time of year that's more in need of the very spirit it claims to spread...
Goodwill towards men? Humbug, indeed. This time of year seems to bring out the worst in everybody. Everybody's stressed out about money, and gifts, and fruit cake, and where we're spending Christmas this year, and I thought we were at your parents last year, and your brother's going to do that thing again, with his nose, and my parents would like to see us too, and the cat just ate the mistletoe, I think he's dying, and would you please shut the fuck up with the Feliz Navidad, you're driving me batshit fucking crazy.
I know I'm not the first to point this out, but everyone needs to just step back, and take a look around. It's Christmas. All religious motivations aside, we're supposed to be Happy, Merry, and Jolly, not Angry, Pissy, and Grumpy.
That said, I'm going to do my part to spread 'The Christmas Cheer.' I certainly do my fair share of complaining – I'd drafted a whole post about this woman who's blaming St. Croix, and me personally, for repeatedly bouncing her checks. But I'm going to leave it alone. I'm going to wish her a silent, 'Happy Holidays!' and get on with my life.

I did have one remark though: In the lyrics of The Christmas Song, are the words, 'and so I'm offering this simple phrase, to kids from one to ninety-two...' What happens when you hit ninety-three? Nobody cares anymore? I don't know any ninety-three year olds, or I'd ask them how they feel about this...

Whatever you celebrate this time of year, I hope you're among people you love, having a good time. Merry Christmas!